Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gitz Bits: Week 31

gitzbitslogo2 divider blue

Monday, August 2, 2010

8.2.10

I have a slight obsession with certain television shows.

Ok, slight is an understatement.

Susie was over here on Friday night when a certain football team on Friday Night Lights beat their hometown rival, and in the excitement I punched her so hard in the arm that I hurt myself... at which point she declared me not so much obsessed as insane.

I call it loyal. Whatever.

Anyway, another television show that I love is called Lie to Me [Monday nights on FOX]. And apparently it’s not only a well written and well cast series, it also has a very well decorated set. Take careful note of the above photo I took of the television screen, and then move on...

divider blue

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

8.3.10

Notice anything similar?

Go ahead. Scroll back up. I’ll wait.

Why, no... your eyes do not deceive you. That is the exact same lovely orange and brown decoration in my home as in their office.

Why, yes, I have been locked up in my condo alone for over a year and have nothing better to do with my time than get excited over the decor in my home that matches something on the screen.

Don’t judge, people. It makes baby Jesus sad.

:)

divider blue

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

8.4.10

When the Shan Clan came to visit, Shannon introduced me to the wonder that is Sonic Lime Slush.

How I lived without this my whole life is beyond me.

I’m not sure if I have yet had a full 24 hours respite from getting sick to my stomach at some point in the last month, which [in case you’re wondering] is getting really, really, really old. And really, really, really frustrating. But Shannon, in her wisdom, brought me this miracle drink that not only doesn’t make me sick... but tends to actually calm my stomach.

Which means, when they were here we were sending her husband Jason on Sonic runs constantly. :) On Tuesday of last week I made a comment on Twitter about wishing Sonic delivered. I did not mean this as instruction, honestly, but on Wednesday Candy showed up on my doorstep with this little beauty.

And a spare to put in my fridge for the next day. I love that woman.

divider blue

Thursday, August 5, 2010

8.5.10

I showed you in last week’s Gitz Bits that the Hayward's planted me my very own little perennial garden by my patio... and this week my lovely daylily started to open up. Isn’t it pretty?

The plant is actually called “Happy Returns” and Shan said that was a visual reminder to me of their promise to come back. I’m very much looking forward to the day.

divider blue

Friday, August 6, 2010

8.6.10

Suz and the boys came over on Friday [when the television arm slugging incident occurred] so she could use her handy-dandy steam cleaner on my worn and dirty carpets. There were so many people coming in and out that week of Dad’s funeral, and a good cleaning was much needed.

Suz took a picture of the boys and I snuggled up watching a movie while she slaved away, but the photo was on her camera and I forgot to get it from her. I did have this picture of Riley from that day, though, and I think his expression pretty much sums up the other reason the carpets needed cleaned.

My dog is stressed out, people. Stressed with a capital “S”. Which means he has marked inappropriately and thrown up in sympathy for me. Those eyes search mine daily to find out when normal is going to return to our little condo. I swear we had more people come through here in three weeks than we normally see in three years, and when the commotion finally died down I went and let in two rambunctious boys and a woman with a loud steam cleaning machine.

Poor dog.

divider blue

Saturday, August 7, 2010

8.7.10

I don’t live well in chaos or clutter, and I have slowly been getting things put away and back in their respective places over the past few weeks. Mom and my Uncle Jon were going to be coming for the day on Sunday, so on Saturday I was futzing around to get the last of random things sorted through and put away. That’s when I found the signs in this picture.

My friend Nicole drove here from Kansas City the day after Dad died... and people, she was such a God-send. She left her four little girls [the youngest two are 18 month old twins] with her husband Josh and totally took over my world for me. Everyone nicknamed her “Nazi Nicole” because she was serious about making sure no one forgot that there are rules about my health.

God bless her. She totally saved the day.

When she had to leave, she took marker to paper and made sure no one would forget instructions... there were signs on the door in the hallway telling people to disinfect their hands, avoid letting outside air in, and if they had the sniffles... fuggedaboutit. She had signs about my needs, my med schedule, Riley’s med schedule...

I’m not sure if it was more about making sure people knew my needs, or if it was more her need to make sure I was ok, but that girl had my back. And those signs still make me smile.

divider blue

Sunday, August 8, 2010

8.8.10

I had told Mom that I wanted to be sure to know about all the things people did for her and the family during the funeral, so when she came on Sunday she plopped down this huge basket – which she referred to as the “first installment” of cards for me to go through.

Wowza. It’s been so amazing reading through all the cards and letters and messages from people I never even dreamed we would hear from, and from the many that I wish I could have seen in person. Looking through these has confirmed two of my beliefs:

1. It is so nice to have something to physically hold. In a day and age where sending an email is a quick and accessible [and appreciated] way to reach out, there is something about holding a message in your hand. Holding something the sender held, seeing their handwriting and feeling their intention. It’s comforting to, in some way, have a piece of them in your home.

2. Telling stories is so important. The cards/letters that had stories about Dad - memories of recent events or tales from when people were kids growing up with him - are like little pieces of gold to me. Knowing how he touched people, the stories of them getting into trouble together or of lessons learned together... they are all little pieces of him that are gifts for us to treasure. I find myself wanting to see every photo anyone has ever taken of him, finding all the moments I wasn’t there for and filling in blanks. Catching glimpses of a gesture or a grin are priceless now. We are so lucky that people have taken the time share their memories with us.

divider blue

Thanks for once again sharing my week with me! Click on the button below if you want to go to Jessica’s site and check out the other participants showing off their weekly photos as well:

blog comments powered by Disqus